Thursday, October 1, 2009

We can't do as we feel

Thanks G1 for sharing your heart. After reading it, I felt convicted to share.

For me, there are times I too, get so tired physically, emotionally and mentally, I feel like giving up. There are moments I just don't bother about people because I feel that I need space to breath. Or instances when I wished I was back in old times when I did not need to care about the consequences of my words and actions. Like G1, there are times I feel like I don't want to do anything, and want to quit.

I say this because what G1 said is true; we can't do as we feel. Jesus demonstrated that graciously by dying on the cross for us even when He didn't feel like going through all the suffering.

It wasn't as if Jesus was excited about it; instead, He was distressed and troubled. He said this, 'My soul is overwhelmed with sorrow to the point of death'. And then, He fell to the ground and prayed this: 'Father, everything is possible for You. Take this cup from me.' [Matthew 26:38]

Yet, this is what distinguishes Jesus from me:
  • Even when He was distressed and saw the huge obstacle in front of Him, He trusted and submitted Himself to God. He said this: 'Yet not what I will, but what You will.' [Mark 14:32-36]
  • He spent time with God and prayed earnestly even at a critical moment- as a result, He drew strength from God
  • He went before God with His emotions - He poured out His heart to God and told God exactly how He felt
I'd admit that I don't always do what Jesus did. Sometimes, I choose to give in to my emotions. I do as I feel. As a result, I cave in to my selfish desires, and to the rebellious streak in me. Frankly speaking, giving in to my emotions leads me away from God, and almost always into a multitude of sins.

But this is the one important fact worth knowing: God did not just leave us with nothing to overcome obstacles. God gave us His Holy Spirit when we accepted Him, and the Holy Spirit lives within us. He gave us His word which is living and active, and sharper than any double-edged sword.

As much as I want to continue dwelling in my emotions each time, deep down I know I can't. Somehow, the Holy Spirit always convicts. I'd know if my ill emotions come because I haven't been spending time with Him, or because I've sinned and refuse to confess or etc.

No matter the pain, no matter the disappointment, no matter the momentarily lapses in time that I stall doing the things I do, no matter the many times I wander away, no matter how lonely or depressed or inferior I feel, I just can't give up because God's love is real and everlasting.

So, I wake up each time to His resounding truth.

What we strive for is eternity. Who we serve is a true, loving, faithful, mighty God whom we will meet face to face one day.

Don't give up! Don't give in! Let us not let emotions rule us; let us not do as we feel.

Let us do what Jesus did.

G3

1 comment: